With apologies for a rather large gap since the last update, it’s time for another York Rally newsletter! We’ve made good progress in the last few months, have attracted a major national event to the Rally, and are looking forward to the summer already!
Many thanks for joining this mailing list about the York Rally! If you’re receiving this in error, apologies and there’s an unsubscribe link at the end of this email.
Campsite – earlybird deadline imminent!
If you book into the campsite early it helps us enormously with the planning and financing of the Rally, and to recognise that we reduce the prices for “earlybirds”. But earlybird discounts for the next Rally (24-25th June) close on the 1st April. So book your space now and you’ll get the reduced prices – and fast-tracked entry on the day.
Rally to host BSCA National Championships!
We’re delighted that the Rally has been chosen to host the British Schools Cycling Association (BSCA) National and Yorkshire Grasstrack Championships. This will take place in the arena on the Saturday of the Rally, and we’re also very happy that the Yorkshire Cyclocross Association will be back on the Sunday. Between these two events we should have a fantastic weekend of spectacle and participation: grass roots cycling at its best.
York Rally Sportive (17th May) gearing up
Bookings are filling up (via British Cycling online – or by post if you prefer) for our next fundraising Sportive! There’s a choice of 100km or 140km rides, taking you into the beautiful North York Moors via some demanding ascents.
Even if you’re not on for riding, volunteers to help run the event are still needed. If you could help marshall, staff a feeding station or take on various tasks at ride HQ, please contact organiser Pete Dunn on 07740 171 252.
Our Beautiful City – #walkcyclefestival
The York Rally is delighted to be taking part in the “Our Beautiful City – #walkcyclefestival” celebration starting on the 28th May – a week of walks and bike rides around York. We’ll be at Rowntree Park for the opening event on Sunday the 28th May, and then we’ll be running a short bike ride to Nether Poppleton on the 29th (Bank Holiday Monday).
• Volunteers always welcome to help on the stand at Rowntree Park.
• Or could you help lead the ride? York Bike Belles, the organisers, have a free ride leader training session on the evening of Wed, 6th May. Contact us if you’d like to take part.
• Our participation in this event will reap rewards in local publicity – it has already helped us get listed among York’s community cycling groups.
Other York Rally news
• After many months of paperwork we are finally a Community Interest Company! As I write this we’re in the process of transferring operations fully to the new structure, which both limits the personal liability of us as organisers and should make fund-raising easier. York Rally CIC will remain entirely volunteer run, and not for profit: as before, our only objective is to see the York Rally survive and prosper.
• We have a provisional date for the 2018 York Rally already! Keep the 23rd-24th June clear in your calendar. This has been cleared with City of York Council (who handle the venue hire) but is still subject to final confirmation until the 2018 horse-racing calendar is firmed up.
• We are always looking for new volunteers – both for general help on the day, and on the committee – so please do come along to a meeting if you’re interested, or to help at the Rally sign up here.
• Could you give a talk at the Rally? We’re expanding our talks programme this year, and touring talks were particularly popular last time. We’ll have a projector on hand. If you’d like to give it a go, please contact Peter Eland on firstname.lastname@example.org
(PS – many thanks again to all who entered the 2016 Photo Competition, and apologies again for the delayed judging! We will announce the winners ASAP!).
Our next meeting will be at 10AM on the 13th May 2017 – please watch the website for venue details. All are welcome – especially newcomers!
Many thanks again for your interest in the York Rally. We hope we’ll see you there again in 2017!
With our best wishes for happy cycling,
The York Rally Committee
Sent for the York Rally by
Peter Eland, Publicity Officer, York Rally